Are you searching for some facts and statistics to finally get a family member or friend to get a hearing test or be fitted for a hearing aid? Talking over some of the data related to the frequency, causes and effects of hearing loss may finally encourage them to make that first appointment. These basic facts and statistics could help you convince someone you care about that it’s the perfect time to schedule a hearing test:
- Nearly 1 of of every five individuals in the US have some kind of hearing loss – that amounts to 36 million people!
- Over the past 3 decades, the number of Americans with hearing loss has roughly doubled.
- Roughly 13% of the population over age 65 will experience tinnitus – ringing in the ears.
- Of the individuals who could benefit from using a hearing aid, only one out of five people wears one.
- Ten million people have permanent loss of hearing due to noise, and 30 million more people are exposed to dangerous noise levels every day.
- Hearing loss categorization studies report that 5% of cases are severe, 30% moderate and 65% are classified as mild.
- Approximately 26 million Americans aged between 20 and 69 are afflicted with high frequency hearing loss caused by recurring exposure to loud noise either at work or during leisure activities.
- People with hearing loss wait close to 10 years before taking any action. Don’t let this be you or someone you love!